Monday 2 September 2013

Thinking about University

For some of you, the next few months may be a bit stressful as you try to decide which programs to apply to.  If you are set on accounting or business, it's a good idea to research a bit about some of the top programs in your region.

If you live in Ontario, I highly recommend you look into the following:
  • University of Waterloo
  • Schulic School of Business (York University)
  • University of Toronto (Rotman or UTSC)
The advantages of University of Waterloo and UTSC is that they have co-op programs and I think those are extremely important, especially if you're not 100% certain what you would like to do after university.  I've actually done a co-op program myself and that is how I ended up being where I'm at today.

If you're still not completely certain on the program, there is no harm applying to several universities that you are considering and then deciding later which one suits you best.  Perhaps you'll get a scholarship somewhere?  Perhaps you'll love the people you meet there when you go on a tour?  

When making the choice of where to go, try to think long-term as well.  What will you get once you finish your degree?  What will your resume look like?

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering how important it is to know accounting for first year university...will i be screwed if i dont know the material that well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a lot of people don't know accounting in first year university. Not everyone takes it in grade 11 and 12

    ReplyDelete